Software Package for Simulation of Heat Transfer in Ground with Phase Transitions
Frost 3D Universal software allows you to develop scientific models of permafrost thermal regimes under the thermal influence of pipelines, production wells, hydraulic constructions etc., taking into account the thermal stabilization of the ground. The software package is based on ten years’ experience in the field of programming, computational geometry, numerical methods, 3D visualization and parallelization of computational algorithms.
Frost 3D Universal is certified in the Russian Federation and complies with international standards.
1. Create the computational domain with initial and boundary conditions
OS: Windows 7, 8, 10
CPU: Intel core i3 (release after 2011)
RAM: 4 Gb
Video: NVIDIA GeForce 400+ series, GDDR5 512Mb
HDD: 500 MB
Internet access required
2. Automatically generate the computational mesh
3. Use the database, manipulate physical properties, and set heat-exchange conditions
4. Review the resulting distribution analysis of three-dimensional temperatures,
ice content and filtration flows
5. Analyze section data
Frost 3D Universal Conference Demonstration
Main functionality of Frost 3D Universal:
Initial data for thermal analysis:
1) Initial data for 3D geometrical model creation:
a) geological soil structure;
b) project drawing, location of heat-insulation materials.
2) Thermophysical properties of soils: thermal conductivity and volumetric heat capacity in thawed and frozen state, density, freezing point, total gravimetric soil moisture (over all types of soil water), dependence of moisture content on temperature.
3) Thermal conductivity, heat capacity and construction material density, including insulation materials.
4) Initial vertical temperature distribution in the ground (borehole temperature log).
5) Meteorological data: air temperature variation, wind speed, changes in snow cover thickness.
3D computational domain model
Temperature distribution (plane y=0)
Temperature distribution in the form of isolines(plane y=0)
Мoisture content (plane y=0)
Advantages of Frost 3D Universal:
Frost 3D Universal versions:
|Frost 3D Universal version||Functionality|
|64-bit, single core CPU||Max number of cells in computational mesh is 5 million. 5 GB RAM + 3 GB main application memory required. Computation is processed on a single core CPU.|
|64-bit, multicore CPU||Max number of cells in computational mesh is 20 million. 16 GB RAM + 10 GB main application memory required (for computational mesh with 20 mln cells).
Up to 8x acceleration2 (depending on the number of cores in the CPU), compared with a single core CPU version.
|64-bit, multicore GPU||Max number of cells in computational mesh is 100 million. Up to 58 million cells are guaranteed (http://frost3d.ru/eng/pipeline-permafrost/). 12 GB RAM required.
Up to 46x acceleration2, compared with a single core CPU version.
|Filtration module||It is required for thermal mode simulation under high flow velocities (dams, dikes, complex hydrological conditions), including ground water convective heat transfer.
For further information, click here:
|1After Jan 1, 2015 technical assistance including updates will no longer be available
2with optimal parameters for the numerical solver, such as: multiplicity of mesh cells and computational cores, mesh uniformity, conformity of thermo-physical properties of materials and the number of boundary conditions.
Useful information for Frost 3D Universal version choose:
More about the mathematical substantiation of the methods used in Frost 3D Universal can be found here.
Video presentations of Frost 3D Universal at the “Earth Cryology: XXI Century” international conference is possibly here.
Today, Frost 3D Universal is the fastest and most precise solver of heat transfer problems with phase transitions!
Examples of Projects:
| Frost 3D Universal on conferences:
Frost 3D Universal in press:
You will be also interested in: